The two 16th century buildings "Haus zum Goldenen Hecht" and "Haus zum Großen und Neuen Schiff" were joined together in 1833 to become the present-day Haus Dacheröden (Anger 37/38). Intellectual giants like Goethe, Schiller and W. v. Humboldt met and conversed in this house. The main entrance to the Haus Dacheröden has one of the most beautiful Renaissance portals in the city. Haus Dacheröden is now as a major centre for cultural events in Erfurt such as temporary exhibitions, discussions, readings, lectures, concerts and celebrations.
The people of Thuringia are very proud of the "Ega", (40 hectares ) which acts as a magnet for visitors and is often referred to as "the garden of Thuringia". A walk through this extensive and varied horticultural park can be combined with a visit to the 500-year-old Cyriaksburg (now hosting the German horticultural museum) with its watch towers and ancient fortifications. The centre point of the Ega is the (very) "Large Flowerbed", which is an impressive floral display, unique in Thuringia for both its size and beauty. Tropical plants, cacti and other succulents, orchids and many other kinds of plants can be admired in greenhouses which are open to visitors all the year round. The most recent attraction of the Ega is the butterfly house, which is the first of its kind in Thuringia. Children are welcome to play, paddle, paint and enjoy a great variety of craft work in the largest children’s playground in Thuringia. In close proximity to the playground, there is also a children’s farm. In the greenhouses and exhibition halls, thematic floral displays are often exhibited. There are also regional exhibitions with themes such as art and culture, science and technology, and nature and the environment.
The Peterskirche is situated in the middle of the Petersberg citadel grounds.
Hirsau Benedictine monks built the pillared basilica between 1103 and 1147. Certain parts of this church building are now used as exhibition space for the forum for concrete art. This church which is still only partly restored was badly damaged in various wars. International collections of paintings, graphic art and sculpture are shown at this location.
The Bartholomäus Tower on the Anger is, with its 60 bells, one of the largest carillons in Germany. Scale range: 5 octaves, largest bell approx. 2.4 tonnes, smallest bell 20 kg.
The Anger Museum with its delightful variety of wood and stone sculptures is situated in the middle of the old part of the city at the crossroads made by the Bahnhofstraße and the Anger. It was built between 1706 and 1712 as a packing and weighing station both for Philipp Wilhelm Reichsgraf von Boineburg, the governor of the city and for Archbishop Lothar Franz von Schönborn. It is one of the most important early 18th century buildings.
The museum was founded in 1886 to house the artworks that the city of Erfurt had inherited from one of its most famous sons, the Romantic painter Friedrich Nerly.